Noguchi Prototype: Sotheby's Important 20th Century Design December 2011

Isamu Noguchi, 1946 Chair Prototype, Sold for $182,500
Not a bad investment since it sold at Christie's for $72,500 in 2007 
Photo: Sotheby's

In 1946 William A.M. Burden hired Noguchi to design chairs and a table to be used in his house in Maine, by architect Wallace K Harrison.  Burden went went with Eames DCMs instead.  I'm all about Eames, but they wouldn't be my choice with this table. 
The Burden house burned to a crisp in 1999 and the only reason this chair is still around is because 
it was stashed away in storage. I've seen this chair in person and these pictures don't do it justice.  
I can't believe the guy who owned it actually let it go.  I guess the $100k profit makes it a little easier to part with. 
Photo: Sotheby's


Photo: NY Times

The Burden house was rebuilt in 2006
Photo: NY Times