Los Manantiales / Felix Candela

Los Manantiales by Felix Candela, in Mexico City

The restaurant was designed by the Spanish-born architect in 1958. The structure, comprised of four thin-shelled concrete hyperbolic paraboloids, is referred to as "la flor" (the flower) by the locals in Xochimilco.


I spoke to the lady who runs the restaurant. She said the building was just awarded some sort of historical designation, but the government doesn't offer any funding for restoration.

The mosaic mural on the wall in front of the building shows the Floating Gardens of Xochimilco, which are just behind the restaurant.

Groups rent boats and have parties as they're taken through the canals. Smaller boats pull up and offer drinks and snacks for sale.


I hired my own boat and went solo. I guess that doesn't happen often. I was getting a lot of funny looks, or maybe they just felt bad for me.

How else was I going to get this view?


Los Manantiales is about an hour car ride from central Mexico City.